Monday 4th January 2010

STAINES MOOR

I had a hospital appointment in the morning, and as it was a fine sunny day with a heavy frost on the ground, I decided a short lunchtime walk would be in order. Staines Moor was nearby and looked interesting, so that's where I went.

After crossing over the railway and under the A30 road, I was in open meadow and soon reached the banks of the River Colne. I hadn't walked far when a little russet-coloured bird landed on a clump of grass on the opposite bank, then on to another even closer to me. I recognised it from a previous encounter as a male Stonechat, and he sat watching me for long enough for me to take his photograph.


Other sightings included two Little Egret, a pair of Bullfinch, Fieldfare, Reed Bunting, Wrens, Robins, Thrushes, Blackbirds, Parakeets, Little Grebes, Meadow Pipits, and a Water Pipit working its way along the mud and debris at the edge of the river.


Unfortunately there was no sign of the reported Brown Shrike, last seen there on 1st January.

No comments:

Post a Comment