Friday, 1st January 2010

NEW YEAR'S DAY AT CIRENCESTER

The first thing I noticed when I sat down to breakfast (apart from the appetising smell of brewing coffee and the perfect, flaky croissants and pain au chocolat) was that the bird feeder outside the window was busy with squabbling Tree Sparrows. I hadn't seen a Tree Sparrow for many years (other than in Australia), and I had read that they were now scarce in this country, so it was a pleasant surprise to see so many of them. They were sharing their breakfast location with House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Goldfinches, Robins (one one-legged), Dunnocks, Pied Wagtails, Collared Doves, and probably others I've forgotten.

After breakfast we went over to the Cotswold Water Park for a rather wet walk. We saw a group of Bullfinches in the trees (two males and a female), and a pair of Gadwall were on the lake.



No comments:

Post a Comment