Staines with Penny

31st JANUARY 2010

Another sunny day and as I was only going for a "short" walk, Penny said she'd come with me. First we went to Staines Moor, and enjoyed a stroll along the river. On the way back I saw three unusual birds on the water, and took some pictures despite the adverse lighting. They were three Goosander, a male and two female.....
....but they were very jumpy and soon flew off to the west.
On our way back to the car, I saw a Quantas airliner and took its picture. It was only when I got home that I realised it was one of the new Airbus A380 super-jumbos.
Next we called in very briefly at Staines reservoir. The most interesting thing within range of my camera was a pair of Great Crested Grebes, still in winter plumage, doing some early rehearsals for the mating ritual. One dived down and came back with some weed.....
....while the other responded by approaching in this strange pose, which is new to me. But I'm sure they know what they're doing!
Penny didn't like the reservoir; the fences are rather like a prison!

No comments:

Post a Comment